Re: Modeless Spell.

Subject: Re: Modeless Spell.
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 09:00:52 CDT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> I've started to look at a Modeless Spell dialog and I realized that it
> cannot be made to work the same as the otheres. There is too much frame
> specific info in the spell dialog. So how do we deal with changing frames?
>
> Here are some ideas.
>
> 1. Leave in the too hard to be Modeless basket for 1.0
>
> 2. Update all the spell dialog info upon changing frames. This is hard
> because it means keeping track of all pointers used to scan the document.
>
> 3. Allow multiple spell dialogs each attached to its own frame. Upon
> changing the frame the dialog is "greyed" out. If you want to spell check
> a different frame leaving your current dialog up and running you must
> start up a new spell dialog.
>
> Of these I think I can implement "3" within a week. Of course "1" is
> easiest but I believe "2" is the correct UI behaviour even though it is
> fraught with potential segfaults in the implementation. If we make Spell
> Modeless I think we should go with 2.
>
> Are there other opinions on this?

Absolutely ... I think that if we are going to change it
we change it once. I have no desire to change dialog
code three, four ... n times just for the sake of change =;-)

Myself, when the issue is tackled I'd prefer that the
modeless works the same as the other dialogs ... ie we
only have one dialog that manages switching it's internals
when the frames change.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf