Re: "Standard Symbols"

Subject: Re: "Standard Symbols"
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 09:03:12 CDT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> right now on Unix our Symbol support is given by a font set
> provided by Adobe named "Standard Symbols" in Abiword. This is unfortunate
> because it breaks platform interoperability amongst even abiword. Windows
> has a True Type font called "symbol" that is functionally identical to
> "Standard Symbols" but because Windows does not know about the "Standard
> Symbol" font encoding it treats the fonts like a regular Latin-1 font and
> displays garbage instead of nice "alpha's" or bullets.
>
> So I propose that we change the name of "Standard Symbols" to "symbol" and
> that we put in a piece of code to convert the name of any document with
> "standard symbols" font to "symbol" font upon loading. That way we
> don't break old documents and we slowly convert them all to the
> more standard "symbol" font. By the way, X11 has a type 1 font called
> "symbol" that is also identical to our "Standard Symbols".
>
> By far the easiest way to get bulletted lists up and running is to use
> symbols for our "Standard Symbol" font so pretty soon it won't be just
> weird people like me who write about neutrinos who have this problem.

As the Neutrino representative, I say go ahead and abstract. My only
question is to ask if we are going to all have the same symbol font?

Has anyone taken a document with symbols in it back and forth between
other platforms to make sure that they symbols are the same?

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf