Re: Win32 word count dialog

Subject: Re: Win32 word count dialog
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 19:23:49 CDT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Thomas Briggs wrote:

> The attached patch implements the (now modeless) word count dialog for
> Win32. I know that it still has a few issues, but I'd rather get it
> committed and (hopefully) get a couple people to beat on it to find the
> things that I'm not seeing.

Great Tom! I wish I could test it. Here is one test that caused me a a lot
of grief before I got it worked out.

Take a large document. Set "Auto-update" to every 0.1 seconds. Try
openning and closing the dialog quickly. I found I had to put some
handshaking code between closing the dialog and the function called by
the timer to update the dialog otherwise I could easily crash abi. If you
remove the dialog from the close command while the "update" is updating
the wordcount you crash abi. The solution is some handshaking variables
that does not delete wordcount until an update is complete as well as an
accelerated "Do not update from now" variable.

> The good news is that the goto dialog looks much simpler than this one
> was, so with any luck I'll have that done soon.

Yes the goto, find and replace dialogs are quite straight forward. There
are very few changes needed for those I'd guess. Can you put the document
titles in the window decoration?

Cheers

Martin