Re: Scripting

Subject: Re: Scripting
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 19:25:53 CDT

Check the archives. One of the very first discussions on abiword-dev
was a flame war I started about scripting languages. It was a pretty
useless discussion, given that scripting was not an imminent feature
at that time.

And, I suppose I'd say it's still not. :-)

I can't say that I'll want to get completely ludditory on this issue.
I've read the Guile stuff, and what they're doing is of some
interest. I'm a language junkie when I'm not in turbo user
advocacy mode. My history contains all kinds of interpreters,
parsers, compilers, and stuff.

Whenever we do get around to the implementation of scripting support,
I doubt we should completely rule out Guile. However, I consider
it to be a very non-user-focused choice. Guile is exactly the
kind of thing that normal people hate. The rhetoric on the
Guile page certainly *sounds* nice, but I don't really think that
users want a choice of scripting languages. Normal users don't
like choices. Developers do.

Guile is also a nightmare for a product whose only possible
revenue model is the sale of technical support. Making money
on technical support is not all that easy anyway, since the
margins are fairly thin. However, the notion of building a
real tech support team for AbiWord is just not going to get
any easier if we expose our users to things like Guile.

Personally, I prefer Python, but I rather doubt that our users
are going to appreciate that much more. It's easy, but it's
just not Visual Basic. If there is ever such a thing as a normal
user of AbiWord who wants it to have scripting, then they want
it to be VB.

I could picture us implementing Guile, simply as a self-serving
effort to please ourselves, the geeks of the project. However,
I don't think we would want our users to know about it. Guile
is the antithesis of K.I.S.S.

In any case, I don't see this issue being all that urgent. It's
a favorite pet subject of mine, but it never seems relevant to
the task of getting AbiWord far enough along to attract millions
of real users.

--

Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman SourceGear Corporation eric@sourcegear.com