Re: Scripting

Subject: Re: Scripting
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski (maniek@beer.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 07:14:28 CDT

There's a flamewar^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdiscusion about scripting for Freeciv
on freeciv-dev@freeciv.org now. Check archives if you are interested.

Anyway, for Word Processor, we need a few completely distinct
things, and one-technology-for-all is not very good idea.

List (arbitrary order, arbitrary gaps) :
1. Writing Macro Viruses ;-)
2. Generating .abi Files
3. Changing .abi Files
4. Printing / Format-Converting from CLI
5. Basic Interafce Customization
6. Complex Interface Customization

So:

Point 1 is unfortunately not portable out of Win9x, althrough
  `OpenSource Virus infects 10M computers' would be nice to see in press.

Point 2 can be easily done by external app, one nice thing would be
  to have File/NewFileFromExternal where we open window with two
  entry-text fields, one it program name, second is argument list.
  90% of this is done. And then we make a pipe and get new file.

Point 3 could be done by some xmlutils if such thing existed.
  Anyway, I think there is no need for complex Abi<->xmlutils
  interface. Simple File/PipeThrough would be 90% enough.

For Point 4 one need to know Abi internals, but it seems quite simple.

Point 5 can be done by record/play, shortcuts customization, and
  <problem>stream of events from socket or pipe</problem>

Pount 6 isn't really needed. Abi doesn't need to emulate Vi nor
  RP-Calculator nor Hanoi.

How far from true am I ?