Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)

Subject: Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:15:07 CST

> So the question is: what's fair game? Do we need to "roll our own" for
> all functions? Could we rip out pieces of existing GPL code for
> inclusion in our GPL product? And what about GTK? My understanding is
> that gdk may be getting some imlib-ish functions. Can we use those?
> What about platforms where we're not using GTK?
>
> I'm willing to get started in the next few weeks, but I need to figure
> out exactly what we can and can't do...

I recommend we use gdk-pixbuf as a model. Basically, we do the simple
formats (ie. BMP) ourselves and link to libs for the hard ones (ie. JPEG).

libjpeg, libungif, libtiff, etc, should be pretty portable. The ungif
source might small enough to just copy, too...

It's not much code and it avoids large lib dependencies.

However, one other suggestion: can we make these image importers
subclassable to platform specific implementations? For instance, with the
gnome version, I'm certain we'd like to just swap this code out for the
actual gdk-pixbuf implementation. I imagine there are similar services on
other platforms. We don't have to do it right away, of course, but I'd
like the ability to be there for later extension.

Justin