Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)

Subject: Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 21:48:00 CST

At 09:49 PM 3/2/00 -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> Nope, license is required for both compression and decompression.
> See <http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/>.

OK. That makes it easy then.

Unless Unisys would like to donate a fully-paid patent license for use in
AbiSuite, we won't be decoding embedded GIFs. (Does anyone have any
statistics on how prevalent these are in various word processor file
formats?)

In the mean time, though, I'm sorely tempted to stick something like the
following prose at the appropriate place in our UI.

  Unisys does not want you to see this image.
  Patent 4,558,302 expires Jun 20, 2003.
  Look for an updated version of AbiWord the following day.

What a pain in the butt.

Paul