Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)

Subject: Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 20:49:43 CST

At 07:48 PM 3/2/00 -0600, Justin Bradford wrote:
>First, I don't think the abisource people want to use it, so it's really
>pointless to argue it.

         That's true - if they don't want it, since it's their product.

>Regardless, it's not difficult to redo the parts we want. In fact, it's
>trivial. Really the only question is deciding how to structure the abiword
>code. What are the APIs? How are they accessed by the various components
>that need to manipulate images?

         Agreed, and that's also stuff that IM takes care of very
nicely. Reading a graphic and converting to another format is 3(!!) lines
of code with IM...

>The code to actually convert the graphics
>is very small, as gdk-pixbuf shows.

         IF you are assuming the whole thing is in memory and in a common
pixel buffer format, it's not bad. It's having to integrate each specific
format with a given pixel buffer arrangement that's the pain - and finding
one that's relatively XP.

> > Keep in mind that supporting compressed GIF images requires a
> > license from Unisys.
>
>I thought that was only for compression, so that using libungif (which
>only has decompression code) would be fine.
         Nope, license is required for both compression and
decompression. See <http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/>.

LDR