Re: Word Exporter Project

Subject: Re: Word Exporter Project
From: Emile Snyder (emile@reed.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 11:41:57 CST

I queried Caolan on this list quite awhile ago about best ideas for adding
export to wv, and got some nice pointers, downloaded the library and
started messing around. What I ran into was the lack of a stable OLE2
library. libole2 is around, and looks like it will be quite nice, but
still wasn't creating/writing new ole2 files when I last looked. I poked
around in the library a little bit, but ran out of time :( But getting wv
to output looked pretty straightforward, if rather tedious, once there was
a nice ole2 output capable library. It seems that the primary authors of
libole2 were involved in the laola stuff, which has some write capacity
(not sure of stability issues) but which is no longer being maintained.

libole2 is in the gnome CVS tree, but I can't find a homepage for it,
sorry.

Where did you find the info on this new/weird format? Do you know what
the earlies Word version is which supports it?

I agree that it would be a very nice hack, but I'm concerned that it's one
of the 'only the newest versions of Word please' kind of things. But only
the newest is definitely better than none!

-emile

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, sam th wrote:

ESR: I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck.
RMS: Any software that isn't free sucks.
Linus: I'm interested in free beer.
          - As reported by Elizabeth O. Coolbaugh of LWN
            from LinuxWorld Conference and Expo