Re: commit -- first pass at command-line conversion

Subject: Re: commit -- first pass at command-line conversion
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 07:55:46 CST

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> First pass at command-line conversion, courtesy of Joaquín Cuenca Abela
> <cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr>
>
> M src/wp/ap/Makefile
> M src/wp/ap/beos/ap_BeOSApp.cpp
> M src/wp/ap/unix/ap_UnixApp.cpp
> M src/wp/ap/unix/gnome/ap_UnixGnomeApp.cpp
> M src/wp/ap/win/ap_Win32App.cpp
> M src/wp/ap/xp/Makefile
> A src/wp/ap/xp/ap_Convert.cpp
> A src/wp/ap/xp/ap_Convert.h
>
> Since discussion of Joaquin's series of patches for this seems to have died
> down, I've gone ahead and checked it in more or less as is. The status for
> each platform should be as follows:
>
> GNOME, GTK -- Joaquin tested these, so I didn't.
>
> WIN32 -- The build breakage for Win32 was very easy to fix so I did.
>
> BEOS -- I went ahead and turned this on as well, changing the #if 0s
> to #if CONVERT to make it easier to turn off if it breaks the
> build too horribly.

I think that the change should just work on BeOS.

> QNX -- Thomas, he didn't provide an implementation for me to check in.
> I doubt that the oversight was intentional.

No problem, I added the work in this morning (or at least think
that I did ... I haven't actually tried it yet)

> 5. code factoring
> ------------------
> Finally, seeing all this redundant logic down in platform code makes me
> itch. As always, suggestions for better refactoring of the code are
> welcome. However, this shouldn't be done until #2 gets resolved.

This was my concern when I put the changes into the QNX
code. There was nothing there that seemed like it needed
to be there.

If nothing else perhaps we could have a

preParseCommandLine() which could go throught and either
set arguments to the function or member variables for
showing the application and showing the splash screen.
Also I would like to know again why it is that we have
the parseCommandLine() code in the AP code ... I understand
that X people might want -geometry and other X default
command lines args to get processed, but it seems to
me that there is still too much common code in there.

Just something to consider if we are going to fix the
issue with the translators, we might as well fix it
for all of the command line parsing.

Also the preParseCommandLine() function would be able
to argument sanity checking and return a bool if
it fails (which would allow us to limit just what
sort of conversions we do as addressed by Paul).

Just my few thoughts,

Thomas

Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf