Re: Framebuffer version of Abi ?

Subject: Re: Framebuffer version of Abi ?
From: Decsi Tamas (dtamas@pressflex.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 08:42:25 CST

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, ArcadePreserv Center wrote:

> I am interesting in very small operating systems, to be used on older 386's
> with perhaps only 40MB HD.
>
> Would it at all be possible to port AbiWord to Linux, using only the
> frambuffer for output? (Which would make it possible to have a full
> wordprocessor with very few MB HD space).

There are some small windowing systems that might worth to take a look at,
such as

 Ben Williamson's DinX http://dinx.sourceforge.net/
   and
 Greg Haerr's MicroWindows http://microwindows.censoft.com/

both of these are in development phase, but there's no need to start
framebuffer support from scratch.

Cheers,
tamas