attention translators!

Subject: attention translators!
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 13:34:13 CST

The POW for November 28th outlined the work we'll need to do so that all of
the dialogs can be sized appropriately for your language of choice:

However, before we get to that point, we first need to update all the
translations, which is where you come in. :-) If you haven't already seen
it, today's update to Owen's excellent script is now online:

  http://www.abisource.com/dev/strings/strings.html

The document itself is huge (over 400K), so here's a summary for you.

1. completed dialogs
=====================
The following new dialogs haven't been fully translated to all languages yet:

Insert / Date & Time (DLG_DateTime)
--------------------
  todo: ca-ES, de-DE, du-NL, es-ES, fr-FR, id-ID, no-BOK, pt-BR

Format / Paragraph (DLG_Para)
------------------
  todo: ca-ES, de-DE, du-NL, es-ES, fr-FR, no-BOK, pt-BR

Tools / Spelling (DLG_Spell)
----------------
  todo: ca-ES, de-DE, du-NL, es-ES, no-BOK, pt-BR

Tools / Word Count (DLG_WordCount)
------------------
  todo: ca-ES, da-DK, de-DE, du-NL, es-ES, fr-FR, id-ID, it-IT, no-BOK,
         pt-BR, pt-PT, sv-SE

2. unfinished dialogs
======================
The following dialogs haven't been finalized yet, so it doesn't matter
whether you translate them yet or not:

Insert / Field (DLG_Field)
Tools / Options (DLG_Options)

3. a few XP strings
====================
The following XP strings seem to have been overlooked as well:

DLG_Close
  (for now, used only in the word count dialog)

DLG_QNXMB_No
DLG_QNXMB_Yes
  (should be exactly the same as DLG_UnixMB*, minus the underscore)

4. miscellaneous
=================
Both the de-DE and du-NL strings have a few additional untranslated strings
for existing dialogs. Look for red cells in your column. ;-)

5. ampersands
==============
On many of our supported platforms, individual dialog controls can have
keyboard accelerators so you can jump directly to that field with a single
keystroke.

To make this work, the strings for each such control label need an XML-safe
ampersand (&) in them, immediately preceding one letter in that string.
Note that this works a lot better if you make sure that the accelerators for
your dialog are all unique. ;-)

To see whether your translation has ampersands where needed, look at the
color-coded table.

  http://www.abisource.com/dev/strings/strings.html#Summary

If the text for other cells in that row is white and yours isn't, then this
string needs to be changed.

Paul