Re: Framebuffer version of Abi ?

Subject: Re: Framebuffer version of Abi ?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 13:34:18 CST

At 10:28 AM 3/10/00 -0800, Tom Ryan wrote:
>On 9 Mar 00, at 23:42, ArcadePreserv Center wrote:
>> what are the licence terms for SciTech MGL ?
>
>SciTech MGL is under the Mozilla Public License.

Oh. That may be a problem, depending on what you want to link it with.

My understanding is that you can't statically link GPL code (such as
AbiWord) with MPL code, which is one of the reasons we've had to avoid using
large swaths of the code used in Mozilla.

However, there are libraries which we can and do share with Mozilla, such as
James Clark's excellent expat implementation, which is dual-licensed under
the GPL and the MPL.

Both of Tom's porting targets are under GPL-compatible licenses (GTK is
LGPL, and wxWindows is LGPL-like), so there's no problem linking to either
of them from AbiWord.

However, IANAL, so I can't comment on whether it'd be OK to mingle MPL code
with those libraries. Fortunately, that's not my headache.

Paul
motto -- license FUD sucks