Re: fields design -- a near-trivial question

Subject: Re: fields design -- a near-trivial question
From: sam th (sam@bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 02:30:55 CST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> Since Keith has shamed me into digging back through his original fields
> proposal, I thought I'd toss a trivial design question out there to see what
> people think.
>
> What should our naming convention be for field types?
>
> 1. alllowercase

This format is used by:
        Perl
        rtf
        javascript
        Python
        C/C++

> 2. MixedCase

This format is used by:
        WordPerfect on Linux

> 3. mostlyMixedCase

This format (also known as camel case - or maybe that includes 2 also) is
used by:
        XML Schemas (still in Working Draft)

> 4. what_eric_started_with

See below

> 5. lukes-latest-variant

This is the format used by:
        virtually every XML application, including
        XHTML
        RDF
        XSL
        Also, CSS1,2,3

Just to be perverse, Java uses 1,2 and 3.
SVG uses 3 and 5
SMIL (a multimedia standard) used 3,4 and 5.
I don't have Word, so I can't check that out.

As to my preference (which, as I am not the one coding, won't have much
impact), I like option 5, mostly for standards reasons. Essentially every
XML application (of which our file format is one) uses it. We even use it
in our style sheets. For the sake of consitency, I think this should be
preserved. This issue (mostly with regard to XML Schemas) was brought up
on XML-DEV a little while back, but not discussed that much.

Hope this sparks discussion

                                     sam th
                                     sytobinh@uchicago.edu
                                http://bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu