Re: Entering Czech Latin2 characters

Subject: Re: Entering Czech Latin2 characters
From: Vadim Frolov (vadim@krug.uch.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 07:07:13 CST

Paul Rohr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for taking a whack at this. I took a look at the diffs and only had
> a few comments:
>
> 1. Do you have any suggestions about how your approach should scale for use
> in other non-Latin-1 languages? I got the impression that your changes --
> especially the mods to NVK processing in ev_UnixKeyboard.cpp -- might only
> help for the Latin-2 subset you need for cz-CZ, but I couldn't tell for
> sure. A few more comments here might be useful.

Hello,

I try to make cyrillic support in AW and this is my "IMHOs":
1. IMHO, we need working with unicode(16 bit, not UTF8) from getting keyboard
key to output to screen.
Why? If the difference between target alphabet and Latin is not big, 2-4 chars
( such as europe alphabets), the way of Miksa is good. But russian alphabet,
ukrainian alphabet has 32 - 35 _NON-latin_ letters and charsets for this
languages are platform-dependent.
Russian: CP1251 for Win
         KOI8-R for most Unixes
         ISO-8859-5 for ISO systems
         MacCyrillic for Mac

Ukrainian: CP1251 for Win
           KOI8-U for most Unixes
           ISO-8859-5 for ISO
           MacUkrainian for Mac

I don't know what's about arabic, korean and so on...

WBR,
         Vadim.