problem opening some word files

Subject: problem opening some word files
From: Rui Silva - Webmaster (rms@ssi.aaum.pt)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 13:14:46 CST

Hi!

  there's a couple of word files that I can't open, hanging up abi eating up all cpu it can.
  some of them I opened with one of the 0.7.x releases, but I don't remember which. ever since, I have a constantly fresh cvs build.

  I *only* use linux, and could not test/install abiword in any windows/mac based machine.

  instead of sending the files, I give you the urls where you can find them:

   http://venus.di-ia.uminho.pt/RC/Fichas/Ficha%201.doc
   http://venus.di-ia.uminho.pt/RC/Fichas/Ficha%202.doc
   http://venus.di-ia.uminho.pt/RC/Fichas/Ficha%203.doc

probably others in here are bad as well: http://www.ptnet.org/documentos/
for example:
   http://www.ptnet.org/documentos/formularios/formulario.doc
   http://www.ptnet.org/documentos/formularios/formulario.rtf

the error that abiword gives is:
some lines of:
  wvWarning: There is no character run due to open but one should be, plugging the gap.

and some lines like
  wvError: (picf.c:136) Old Graphic

so I guess it's the word importer.

hope this documents help tracking the bug,

yours, rms

+ So let's do it...?