Bug 435 - accents only work after font change

Subject: Bug 435 - accents only work after font change
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 21:24:09 CST

I made some comments about this bug in bugzilla, and I thought it would
be best to "CC" them to the mailing list so they wouldn't be hidden within
the info page of some obscure bug. Hopefully someone can point me in the
right direction...

------- Additional Comments From aaronl@vitelus.com 03/23/00 21:19
-------
I have been trying very hard to resolve this one for the past few days. So
far, I have concluded that the thing about changing the font that makes
accents work is the fact that the combo box gets focus. It's very
confusing since Abi doesn't seem to follow the focus conventions of GTK.
Probably the reason why this whole bug exists is that XAP_UnixFrame
connects the key-press signal of the whole _toplevel window_ to its key
handling function, rather than allowing the text area to come into focus
and have its own key handling function. It seems like GTK doesn't give
propper key data when no widget has focus: before you click on one of the
combo boxes in the ruler the key handling function will get passed a key
press event every time the multi_key is pressed. After something is given
focus, the key_press function gets an event only after the sequence is
completed.

My first idea would be to try implementing better focus handling. IMHO the
text area should be a real widget and XAP_UnixFrame should connect to the
toplevel window's set-focus signal and somehow ensure that the text entry
area has focus unless a combo box is pulled down. Any takers? I think this
is an important bug to fix since it makes accents unusable without a
hackish workaround.