Yudit (was Re: Dog Food.)

Subject: Yudit (was Re: Dog Food.)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 16:41:34 CST

At 11:17 AM 3/23/00 +0100, Oliver Doepner wrote:
>There is a great GPLed tool to explore the niceties of unicode: Yudit
>(unicode editor/editress :-) ) by With support for TrueTypeFonts for
>display and printing, native GNU unifont support and input methods
>(keyboard mappings) for your favorite script (Straight, Unicode,
>Chinese-CJ, Greek, Russian, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Kana, Danish, Dutch,
>German, Mnemonic, Polish, SGML, Cyrillic, Hangul, Vietnamese, Ethiopic,
>Hebrew, Arabic, French, Czech)
>
>There are nice screensots of Yudit at http://czyborra.com/yudit/.
>
>Checkout yudit among other great editor/word processor projects at:
>http://www.icewalk.com/softlib/cat/cat_00004.html
>
>The cyberbit bitsteam TTF can be obtained via:
>http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/babble/download/download.html

Oli,

Thanks for the reminder about Yudit. I personally haven't dug through that
codebase, but it definitely sounds like a excellent potential source of code
for handling a wide range of Unicode issues that we're currently grappling
with, especially input methods and TrueType fonts on Unix.

I suspect that in many cases we'll want to use higher-level APIs provided by
GTK and/or the new 4.0 release of XFree86, but if there's ever a need to
grovel in the lower-level details, this code is a very obvious place to be
looking.

Paul