RE: error in hash-file

Subject: RE: error in hash-file
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 12:54:48 CST

> Henrik,
>
> When you were messing around with various ispell dictionaries, did you ever
> run across anything like this? I think I've seen similar complaints in the
> past, but don't remember ever seeing a resolution.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Sorry to say, but no. It allways load for me. I create new dictionaries on a Linux RedHat 6.0 intel machine and use them on Windows, so I'm not testing that meny cases. There has been problem using tha danish dict, but I get it to work just like the other 6-7 dictionaries I have been playing with.

Questions to ask:

On what machine is the faulty dict created? Home made? amarican.hash from Abi binary? or some Linux dist?

On what machine is it used?

I would be very happy if I had the time to rewrite the hash file loader to read the file independent of endieness and pointer size. A file format with any of these limitations is very broken, but ispell last release is in 1994 or something close to that, so it's a little late to be angry.

Until then, we are stuck with pointing people to existing binaries and instuctions of how to build your own. You could have a download page for prebuild binaries at AbiSource, for three platforms, little, big and 64 bit.

--hb