non-modal dialogs (was Re: Word count nitpicks)

Subject: non-modal dialogs (was Re: Word count nitpicks)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:55:42 CST

We're definitely all in consensus that having non-modal dialogs would be
nice. However, so far we haven't come up with any XP consensus of what
would be needed to make them work.

Martin's suggestion of faking non-modal dialogs using focus tricks is
appealing, but IIRC, that kind of approach raises a bunch of thorny
platform-specific issues about how GUI events/messages get pumped to the
right windows (so that updates, scrolling, redraws, etc. happen cleanly).

I've seen people solve this problem before, but all I remember are their
complaints about how nasty it was.

Sorry for the FUD. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that'd require more
platform-specific knowledge of event processing than I personally have.

Paul