Re: Word count nitpicks

Subject: Re: Word count nitpicks
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 12:22:03 CST

At 11:38 AM 3/28/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:
>> I haven't read Apple's guidelines, but my usual expectations are that any
>> menu item with three dots brings up a dialog. Since the menu item for Mac
>> about boxes also has three dots, I think we're fine as is.
>
>Well, the two dialogs mentioned are the only ones that don't require human
>intervention, so if we should specify them differently, then that seems
>reasonable. In general, the HI guidelines have a fairly good record
>(AFAIK).

I must be missing something here. Under the apple menu on a Mac 7.5.x
system, the first menu item is:

  About This Macintosh...

If you ask me, that's a pretty compelling precedent. Even simple dialogs
get dots.

Paul

PS: Folks who've carefully studied how Apple's HI guidelines usually get
interpreted are free to show me what I've missed here, if anything. AFAIK,
the menu action of raising those dialogs isn't completed until the dialog
goes away, and that usually "requires human intervention", no?