Re: libole2 (was Re: commit -- POW - Beginning the Binary ...)

Subject: Re: libole2 (was Re: commit -- POW - Beginning the Binary ...)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 23:20:58 CST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> >As Dom points out though, it /would/ be friendlier to the libole people
> >(and would possibly make using future updates of libole within AbiWord
> >and WV easier) to port glib.
>
> It may be that a fork at some level is necessary here (I just proposed one
> myself), but I'd really love to find some way to avoid it entirely.
>
> Even though we may all be building libole2 in different ways for different
> purposes, I really don't want to give up too soon on the ideal of sharing
> the *exact* same libole2 code between our various projects.
>
> The beauty of this approach is that all users of this library can share
> fixes and enhancements added by anyone working on other projects. The only
> thing better than writing cool code is having someone else write it for me.

I'll add a very small voice in support of a full glib port (I won't do any
of the glib porting). glib has some very nice features which would be good
to use in cross platform development too. In addition I'm constantly
faced with the requirement to learn new things. If glib was avalable for
XP code then I could concentrate on just learning how to use glib stuff.
Selfish I know but I think a number of Abi hackers may think similarly.

I agree that moving a little of glib into the wv tree so that libole2 can
be incorporated is the right thing to do now.

Cheers

Martin