Re: libole2 (was Re: commit -- POW - Beginning the Binary ...)

Subject: Re: libole2 (was Re: commit -- POW - Beginning the Binary ...)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 18:21:05 CST

At 01:02 AM 3/31/00 BST, James Montgomerie wrote:
>We have things like that in Abi and in WV already - I'd say we should
>use the, instead of importing another library into the tree. Since (I
>imagine) we're going to be changing libole2 a little anyway, why not
>make it use our native types? (It'll make it easier to interface with
>wv).

Are the type mismatches that bad, or will some casting macros take care of
it?

>As Dom points out though, it /would/ be friendlier to the libole people
>(and would possibly make using future updates of libole within AbiWord
>and WV easier) to port glib.

It may be that a fork at some level is necessary here (I just proposed one
myself), but I'd really love to find some way to avoid it entirely.

Even though we may all be building libole2 in different ways for different
purposes, I really don't want to give up too soon on the ideal of sharing
the *exact* same libole2 code between our various projects.

The beauty of this approach is that all users of this library can share
fixes and enhancements added by anyone working on other projects. The only
thing better than writing cool code is having someone else write it for me.
:-)

Paul
motto -- the fewer forks the better