It's time to show some apprciation

Subject: It's time to show some apprciation
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 08:37:07 CDT

SourceGear announces a weekly patch prize award!

Every week, from now until further notice, SourceGear will award one
individual per week a prize of $299.99 (US) for a contribution made to the
AbiSource project. That's right folks, one cent short of an even 300 US
dollars. The prize will be awarded on a weekly basis to the person with
the best patch that was recently checked into the tree. The SourceGear
staff will select the prize winner.

How do I win?
The best patch does not necessarily mean the largest. Here is a guideline
for figuring out who will win on a given week: As AbiWord approaches 1.0,
anyone who contributes a patch that helps that effort is a lot more likely
to win. So, if you fix bug #376 or #431, you are a heavy favorite to win
that week. Features additions are less likely to win, but a couple of them
note exceptions, such as Word Export, Fields, and lists. Generally,
winners will be given to those whose patches improve stability and
usability.

Hey, I don't like those guidelines!
Tough. The decision of the SourceGear staff is final. We don't want to
hear any belly-aching because the you think the award should have been
awarded differently. The fact of the matter is, we are handing out our own
cash, so we want to give it to contributors who help AbiWord reach 1.0.

When is this prize given out?
Sam will announce the prize every week in the weekly news. Don't try
giving him any kickbacks :-)

Hey! I have been contributing for a while now. I feel slighted.
You shouldn't. If you are a already a contributor, you know the code base
and have an advantage.

Is there any fine print?
Of course there is. All SourceGear employees are not eligible. An
individual will find it quite difficult to win the prize a second time, and
impossible to win it a third. This contest is scheduled from until AbiWord
1.0 ships, but may be retracted without notice. All decisions by the
judges are final. Prizes are awarded to the patch author, not the person
who checked it in.

Enjoy!

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist