Re: l18n from a user POV

Subject: Re: l18n from a user POV
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 10:16:29 CDT

At 03:14 PM 5/11/00 +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
>While looking through the last days traffic on the list, I noticed one
>from Henrik Berg that stuck out from the rest when looking at it from a
>_users_ point of view.
>
>> As the table looks now it is not a good thing to add new languages,
>> since the table is "spacey" and include unused mappings.
>> One thing would be to add override mappings to .string files so
>> it isn't hardcoded into the executeable.
>>
>> This is similar to that menus and toolbar button translation should
>> move to the .string file as well.
>>
>>When all language text, strings and mappings are in text files, then
>> no recompile is needed and non-programmers could help with all
>
>This is a _very_ good point (that no recompiles are needed). I can easily
>think of people that wants to help out but don't know one bit about
>C/C++, and they don't want to learn.
>
>Since this isn't a real "bug", would it be a POW or should we perhaps add
>it to our Bugzilla with a decent priority? I think it's quite important
>(especially) since it possibly can attract non-programmers.

I think we should just do it.

I am available to help out any way I can. That means once the AbiWord code
base allows it, I will set up a web page for automatic submissions into the
code should that be the way we want to go. Or anything else along these
lines you would have me do.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist