l18n from a user POV

Subject: l18n from a user POV
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 09:14:40 CDT

While looking through the last days traffic on the list, I noticed one
from Henrik Berg that stuck out from the rest when looking at it from a
_users_ point of view.

> As the table looks now it is not a good thing to add new languages,
> since the table is "spacey" and include unused mappings.
> One thing would be to add override mappings to .string files so
> it isn't hardcoded into the executeable.
>
> This is similar to that menus and toolbar button translation should
> move to the .string file as well.
>
>When all language text, strings and mappings are in text files, then
> no recompile is needed and non-programmers could help with all

This is a _very_ good point (that no recompiles are needed). I can easily
think of people that wants to help out but don't know one bit about
C/C++, and they don't want to learn.

Since this isn't a real "bug", would it be a POW or should we perhaps add
it to our Bugzilla with a decent priority? I think it's quite important
(especially) since it possibly can attract non-programmers.

/Mike