The scrap suggestion, Attn Mike &Sam Th

Subject: The scrap suggestion, Attn Mike &Sam Th
From: P.Denis (pablod10@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 12:17:38 CDT

plain text this time,

Hello, first please excuse my ignorance but I can't use your forum I
actually found your reply's to my email in the bulk folder of Hotmail and
only noticed it because of a rapid rise in junk mail from 100 to 141 in one
day, subsequently seeing that the abiword mailer sent most of them.
1.Is this normal?
2.how do I stop it from sending email that do not correspond to the
questions asked?
3.Is the forum only accessable through the archives link?
4. where can I find the question askes for I can't seem to find themin the
archives for May?

The following is directed towards "Mike and Sam th"

On the original suggestion of "The Scrap" I'll try to hopefully answer some
of your reply's, windows has the extension for the scrap as "SHS" and it
opens with "RUNDLL32". (shs is not necessarily a format, possibly just an
allocation of an extension so that rundll32 can be applied and hence
rundll32 can execute the word processor that created the scrap)

I asked for the suggestion, for I use the function regularly as an example I
have the wordpad Icon on the task bar, I open it paste or type any notes
highlight it or select all and drag it to the desktop. The scrap assumes
the name of the first words of the text or you can rename it anything you
want whithout having to worry about extensions, you can also open it, add
whatever, close it and it is automatically saved. Another advantage of
having this feature with "SHS and RUNDLL32", is that it remembers the word
processor that created it, as an example create one with word pad, the scrap
opens to word pad, create one with Lotus Word Pro and that scrap will open
with Lotus Word Pro. Both scraps are identical until you open the scrap and
are presented with the processor that created it.

In my Limited knowledge I would say it may work something along these lines;

1.SHS is not a specific format just a permit to create a file (drag & drop,
auto save, etc. For if you create one outright on the desktop eg new,
.doc/rename it to xyz.SHS and try to open it, it fails as not being "a valid
scrap document/shortcut file").

2.Rundll32 is the link between the word processor that created the file and
the scrap extension. (allows different word processors to utilise the scrap
function without applying a specific format)

3.Therefore SHS is the style (not a format) of the file and Rundll32 applies
the word processor that created it, and its the word processor that holds
the files default format. (So the word processor needs only to work with the
method, not create it)

If, as in one of your emails you where to apply eg, "rtf" format, it would
defeat the purpose for all scraps would be "rtf" and all "rtf" files would
become scraps. Not a good thing, for the scraps have to be format
independant, but word processor dependant as I hope this email explains.

Now, if I'm correct in this assumption, the SHS and RUNDLL32 actions should
be replicable for a crossplatform version if it doesn't already exist,(if
you could find a Os system other than windows and do it, I would say that a
similar type of shs and rundll32 exist) for ultimately all the word
processor has to do is to be able to execute the instructuons from RUNDLL32
to handle the SHS file it originally created, as the"Scrap". As the inverse
would apply in the scraps creation from Abi word.

From what I can see;
no specific format required for the word processor handles it like a
traditional shortcut.
a word processor that can work with/create,
the dumy extension "shs" and
the interface "rundll32" to handle the procedure

I hope this helps a bit.
Regards P.Denis