Re: Cursor (second try)

Subject: Re: Cursor (second try)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 16:53:46 CDT

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Mike Nordell wrote:

> Please. Could someone change subject regarding "reply-to:" from Cursor to
> whatever you think is appropriate?
>
> Let's try this again.
>
> I *need* to know if the double linked list that fp_Run participate in
> should *always* only contain runs within one fp_Line. If no onw can
> answer this, I guess I just ditch the new cursor class.

Way to get some responses :-) Please don't do that! I really think that
this is the right to do the cursor. For the number one most annoying thing
about abi is its handling of cursor issues. There are 3 things that bug me
about it.
1. Leaves old cursors scattered about the document.
2. Cursor size and position doesn't always match text input.
3. It is impossible to insert text into the first location after a format
change.

I think your approach is an elegant way to solve these issues.

Regarding your specific question, when playing around with the underlining
code I also doscovered that you could not always assume that runs of text
would be contained on one line. I *think* that runs of text can
continue across a line until the line breaking code realizes what has
happened and breaks it into 2 two lines. But the code is almost clever
enough to deal with this until the line breaking code does its thing.

Sorry don't have time for more detailed investigation until tomorrow. I
believe if I stare at the underlining code for long enough I can correctly
answer your question.

Cheers

Martin