Re: Tables

Subject: Re: Tables
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 11:51:15 CDT

Daniel Roberts wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new here (of course)... I joined because I am a
> beginning C++ student, and I'd like to see how I can
> contribute, if I possibly can.
>
> The impetus for this is that I like AbiWord a lot--I
> think it is currently the most promising Linux (and
> cross-platform) open source word processor we have
> available on the market right now. However, at the
> moment it has what I see as one *MAJOR* shortcoming.
> I recently had to write a paper for one of my classes
> (statistics), which required EXTENSIVE use of tables.
> I ended up having to borrow my mom's Windows machine
> and use Micorosft Word due to AbiWord's total lack of
> table support... It was most embarassing, listening
> to her giving me a lecture on how obviously "behind
> the times" Linux was, and how she thought this was

Well, it's a hack, but you can export to LaTeX, and write the tables at
hand in the LaTeX output file (see the help files that you have in your
system). Another option is to try KWord, the webpage says that it has
table support.

Anyways, it's not the Linux fault, but the AbiWord one.

> evidence that Linux would obviously fail. I tried to
> find evidence of future table support plans for
> AbiWord... But to make matters worse, I can find
> absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of future plans for
> table support, ANYWHERE.

table support is a post 1.0 feature (but the patches will be accepted
:). See http://www.abisource.com/lxr/source/abi/docs/roadmap.html

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e-mail: cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr