Tables

Subject: Tables
From: Daniel Roberts (zuperdee@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 11:00:55 CDT

Hello all,

I am new here (of course)... I joined because I am a
beginning C++ student, and I'd like to see how I can
contribute, if I possibly can.

The impetus for this is that I like AbiWord a lot--I
think it is currently the most promising Linux (and
cross-platform) open source word processor we have
available on the market right now. However, at the
moment it has what I see as one *MAJOR* shortcoming.
I recently had to write a paper for one of my classes
(statistics), which required EXTENSIVE use of tables.
I ended up having to borrow my mom's Windows machine
and use Micorosft Word due to AbiWord's total lack of
table support... It was most embarassing, listening
to her giving me a lecture on how obviously "behind
the times" Linux was, and how she thought this was
evidence that Linux would obviously fail. I tried to
find evidence of future table support plans for
AbiWord... But to make matters worse, I can find
absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of future plans for
table support, ANYWHERE.

So, that's why I'm here--I want to find out if there
is any way I could help add table support. I think we
could start by adding "Tables" to the pulldown menus
and toolbars, and have it bring up a dialog about
incomplete features, the way the Preferences dialog
used to do.

From there, does anybody have any ideas about this?
Any idea how difficult it might be? I've been
observing Mozilla almost since its birth 2 years ago,
and I notice that Netscape <=4.x used to support
tables by literally treating each table cell as a
complete nested HTML document of its own. Could we do
something like this in Abiword?

Feedback on any of this would be greatly appreciated.
I *LOVE* AbiWord otherwise... Up until now, I've
never found any serious deficiencies with it. This is
the FIRST one I've found.

=====
Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?
Get the latest JavaScript client sniffer at
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/examples/javascript/browser_type.html

Sincerely,
Daniel
e-mail: zuperdee@penguinpowered.com