Re: Tables

Subject: Re: Tables
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 23:14:39 CDT

Daniel Roberts wrote:

> --- Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr> wrote:
> > Well, it's a hack, but you can export to LaTeX, and
> > write the tables at
> > hand in the LaTeX output file (see the help files
> > that you have in your
> > system). Another option is to try KWord, the
> > webpage says that it has
> > table support.
>
> Three problems with this:
>
> 1) I don't speak LaTeX.
> 2) Learning LaTeX isn't going to help me contribute to
> AbiWord anytime soon. :-)
> 3) It's all very well to tell me to export it from
> AbiWord to LaTeX, and use LaTeX for the rest of my
> documents... But if I really should be doing that,
> then why should I even bother with AbiWord at ALL?
> Why is AbiWord being written in the first place? Why
> not stop working on AbiWord altogether, tell people
> AbiWord is completely worthless, and they should use
> LaTeX instead?

I was not suggesting to replace AbiWord with LaTeX. Both of them have
differents goals.
I was just enumerating the different options that you have to write a
report with tables in linux (without touching any commercial program and
without using a windows box).
AbiWord needs to get table support. It's a planned and very needed
feature.

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e-mail: cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr