Re: Tables

Subject: Re: Tables
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 23:22:41 CDT

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Daniel Roberts wrote:

> --- Decklin Foster <fosterd@hartwick.edu> wrote:
> > One word: LaTeX.
> >
> > Word has been ``behind the times'' before it was
> > even written. Help on
> > AbiWord is definetly good, but if you have any stats
> > papers in the
> > meantime, think about learning LaTeX.
>
> That's all very well, but if I should be learning
> LaTeX, then why bother writing AbiWord at all? Why
> not give up on AbiWord altogether, and tell people to
> use LaTeX instead?
>
> Also, learning LaTeX isn't going to give me something
> to contribute to AbiWord. I want to contribute
> something, and table support looks like something interesting.

Latex is definately superiour to ANY commerical software when it comes to
Mathematics and Statistics. MS Word isn't even close. It will be a very
interesting challenge to get AbiWord into the League of Latex for maths
support. I hope to so but there are many other issues to be solved first.

Actually, now I think about it, the program you want is "lyx". See

http://www.lyx.org/

It has some good code but it is built on a weird and ugly widget set
(Xforms) which has a strange license.

Cheers

Martin Sevior