Re: margin adjustment

Subject: Re: margin adjustment
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 07:40:17 CDT

Hi Fredric,
           I'm looking forward to this because I use references a lot.
Unfortunately I'm not a typography so your terminology leaves me confused.

You ask:

> My problem is to find a good heuristic for the margin lengths... Would it be
> possible to give the size in some sort of font-related unit, like em and ex
> in LaTeX ? Or do you know another method to achieve the same effect ?

I only have experience with X11 fonts where all distances are in terms of
pixels. The size of X11 fonts can be calculated from their definitions and
I believe that abi has a mechanism to calculate the widths of text
strings.

Tab distances are given in terms of pixels which can be scaled to match
the resolution of the rendering device. I don't know the xml description
of TAB's used by abi but we have DTD on the website. Maybe you can get
your information from their.

Cheers

Martin