LineBreaks vs Page/ColBreaks

Subject: LineBreaks vs Page/ColBreaks
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 05:53:09 CDT

>>>>> "Jesper" == Jesper Skov <jskov@redhat.com> writes:

Jesper> FWIW I've reimplemented the functionality from scratch with
Jesper> all the decisions being made in the BlockLayout loop. An added
Jesper> bonus is that it's quite a bit more efficient. I still have to
Jesper> sort out the EOL case: I know what needs to be done, I just
Jesper> need to determine when to do what, and my brain's nearing
Jesper> caffeine depletion real fast now, so it'll have to wait till
Jesper> tomorrow.

OK, I now know why the code doesn't behave as I expect it to. It's
because (surprise) there's a bad assumption: it expects "formatting"
runs such as linebreak, columnbreak and pagebreak to be used in the
same way.

That's not the case, however, and I wonder if that's by conscious
design or JustTheWayItHappensToBe(TM). When inserting a linebreak, a
new block is created for the following line. It seems natural (to my
twisted mind, anyway) to have the same happen for columnbreaks and
pagebreaks, but these just appear as runs inside the original block.

Coding "around" this is trivial, but adds a bit of complexity that I'd
like to know has to be there for a (good?) reason - I simply don't
have the overview of AbiWord to reason out a good explanation. Please
help :)

Thanks,
Jesper