Re: LineBreaks vs Page/ColBreaks

Subject: Re: LineBreaks vs Page/ColBreaks
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:22:12 CDT

On 27 May 2000, Jesper Skov wrote:

> OK, I now know why the code doesn't behave as I expect it to. It's
> because (surprise) there's a bad assumption: it expects "formatting"
> runs such as linebreak, columnbreak and pagebreak to be used in the
> same way.
>
> That's not the case, however, and I wonder if that's by conscious
> design or JustTheWayItHappensToBe(TM). When inserting a linebreak, a
> new block is created for the following line. It seems natural (to my
> twisted mind, anyway) to have the same happen for columnbreaks and
> pagebreaks, but these just appear as runs inside the original block.
>
> Coding "around" this is trivial, but adds a bit of complexity that I'd
> like to know has to be there for a (good?) reason - I simply don't
> have the overview of AbiWord to reason out a good explanation. Please
> help :)

I ran into this when I was trying to fix Luke Jordan's Lists patch. (I
gave up and decided to leave it until Fields gets fixed). A new line gets
a new Block. I assumed that a block was actually a paragraph. Hmm now I
think about it a paragraph can span a pagebreak or a column break. That
might be the answer. A block is a paragraph. A paragraph can span a
pagebreak or column break. It would be good if one of the designers of abi
could provide some clues however (hint) :-)

Cheers

Martin