Re: LineBreaks vs Page/ColBreaks

Subject: Re: LineBreaks vs Page/ColBreaks
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 09:39:01 CDT

First of all, hitting the return key does *not* insert a line break.
It inserts a *paragraph* break. The distinction is very important.

A paragraph, also known as a block, is a logical unit of content.
It has nothing to do with physical positioning or the geography
of a sheet of paper. Those things are the realm of "layout", and
terms like lines, columns, and pages are the sort of things
we deal with there.

The process of layout is taking logical units of content and
flowing them appropriately into physical containers. When this
is done, we can't lose the original understanding of where the
boundaries of the logical content are.

A paragraph can have formatting attributes on it, and those attributes
need to be preserved and changeable, regardless of whether that
paragraph spans a single line or 10 columns across five pages.

There *is* such a thing as a forced line break, but it's a different
beast. It's simply an instruction to the layout engine to force
a line break in the flow where one might not otherwise be expected.
It does not change the logical organization of content.

Reading the notes in the this thread, I'm not 100% sure that I know
exactly what the misconception is. If this message seems pointless,
than I probably missed the point, and I apologize. If you'll

--

Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman SourceGear Corporation eric@sourcegear.com