Re: A Proposal (why we should have setBold(true))

Subject: Re: A Proposal (why we should have setBold(true))
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:13:26 CDT

On Sat, 27 May 2000, sam th wrote:

> Adding to PD_Document methods such as the following:
>
> UT_Bool setBold(UT_Bool newVal);
> UT_Bool setItalic(UT_Bool newVal);
> UT_Bool setFont(XML_Char * newFont);
>
> UT_Bool isBold();
> // things that can't be toggled (such as fonts) won't need the same
> // accessor functions.
> etc..
>
> I think this will result in minimal added overhead, and greatly improve
> the usablility of the ptbl.

Sam,
        As far as I'm concerned you're pushing on an open door. When
implementing "Insert Symbol" I would have loved such functions to
implement the font querying and changes rather than using props queries.
Talk about cumbersome! I guess you're suggesting direct access functions
on the Piece Table rather than wrappers around calls to props queries with
text strings? That seems much more efficient and I believe every bit as
robust with correctly written accessor functions.

As far as I'm concerned go for it!

I would love to know if there is good reason to not do things this way.

Cheers

Martin