Re: Field bugs was Re: commit: undebugged Lists and Fields.

Subject: Re: Field bugs was Re: commit: undebugged Lists and Fields.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 20:01:47 CST

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:19:18AM +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
> >
> > Undebugged lists and fields for the next release. Piece Table
> > fields are only in the debug build.
>
> A couple current bugs in fields - easily visible with the test inserts:
>
> 1) Insert Keith's test. Note that the cursor is on the next line.
> Type some text. It appears on the previous line, inside the
> field. In order to get to the actual next line, press enter
> once. The cursor doesn't move, but the actual position does.
>
> 2) Insert Keith's test. insert martin's test. Not only is martin's
> test inserted in the previous line, as the previous item
> describes, but it causes a duplicate copy of keith's test
> to be created. This copy isn't saved, but it is displayed.
>
> 3) Insert Keith's test. Hit undo. Assert, then segfault.
>
> 4) Insert Martin's test. Hit undo. Different assert, then segfault.
>
> 5) Insert basically any field. Same assert as with Keith's test,
> then segfault. *THIS IS A SHOWSTOPPER*
>
> I'm sure their are lots more, but this should get people started.

These are not in the undebugged builds. They're in to demonstrate the
feasibility of the piecetable fields. They only show up in
debug builds. The non-debug builds have just our regular fields (like
time,page number etc)

If there are crash bugs associated these then they are certainly
showstoppers.

To help people understand the issues, the bugs Sam reports occur
when inserting PieceTable fields into blank documents. There are
fewer issues when they're inserted into documents already containing text.

I think the cursor on next line bug can be fixed by inserting an invisible
run at the end of every paragraph. We can also use this run to finish the
show paragraphs feature.

Cheers

Martin