Re: Re[2]: 0.7.12 for Monday?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: 0.7.12 for Monday?
From: Belcon Zhao (belcon@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 20:13:19 CST

Hello hashao:

>From: Vlad Harchev <hvv@hippo.ru>
>To: hashao <hashao@china.com>
>CC: abiword-dev@abisource.com
>Subject: Re: Re[2]: 0.7.12 for Monday?
>Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:41:33 +0400 (SAMT)
>
>On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, hashao wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Hello Vlad,
> >
> > On Wednesday, November 08, 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
[deleted]

> AW will use only the fonts that it searches explicitly - in
>${prefix}/fonts
>and its subdirectories. So if you wan AW to support any Chinese fonts, you
>should put them in (in your case) in subdirectory with name "GB2312" of
>${prefix}/fonts/.
> Belcon Zhao told that with the patch that was committed yesterday night
>AW
>shows GB2312 just fine (if Chinese fonts are in proper subdir). So please
>try
>it.

Yes,it work perfectly for me,either GB2312 or Big5.

[deleted]

> Yes, in ideal the use of fontsets shouldn't hurt, but in reality I had
>weird
>problems with them in gtk apps and russian - so I try to avoid fontsets if
>possible.

There always have wierd problems with local characterset.:-(

> Currently AW doesn't use fonts under non-CJK locale.
>
> > Please consider this or help me to set up my environment correctly.
>
> I would like to hlp you to setup your environment.
> You have to set $LANG to full name of your locale with charset included -
>e.g. zh_CN.GB2312 Wrapper that calls AW uses charset from $LANG to add
>locale-specific fonts to fontpath (or the fonts already should be in
>fontpath
>before starting AW). Then add GB2312 Type1 fonts to subdir with name GB2312
>of
>${prefix}/fonts

No.CJK characters fonts are TTF.So,you needn't to copy any Type1 fonts.Just
use which you have installed in you system.
BTW:fonts.dir of GB2312/ has different format against fonts.dir of
Abisuite/fonts/. If you doesn't familiar with it,I can send a style
to you.

> Everything should work then.
>
> Also you can contact Belcon if you have any troubles - he is using
>GB2312.

Yes,just contact me if you have problems with CJK.

> > PS: I found that the encoding for CJK is decided by the current
> > LANG environment. I hope this can be changed to depend on LC_CTYPE.
> > LANG also set a lot of other locale properties which might not be what
> > a user want. Sometime, a user might want to use a English menu but
> > also want to edit a Chinese document. This is not feasible with the
> > current abiword.
>
> I believe that user has to set $LC_MESSAGES=en rather than tweak $LANG.
> Anyway - AW uses a wrapper, so it would be easy to tweak it.
>
> > And is there an command line option for 'make' to stop building
> > static binary for me? I don't care about a static binary when testing
>cvs.
>
> The hackish way : edit /src/config/platforms/linux.mk and comment
>UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=1
> there.
> Proper way (not tested):
> Use following commandline
> make UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=0
>
> > It takes time. Also the 'make -j 4' will not compile successfully. I
> > do have a due celeron machine. :)
>
> Currently something weird with RTF importer under CJK locales. Very
>simple
>code doesn't work as expected, and Belcon is trying to solve the puzzle of
>why
>it doesn't work for a week. I will post a message describing a problem and
>ways of tracing separatelty. Please help with this - it should be easy.

I have post the solution of the copy&paste Chinese characters.
Now the only problem is why AW like always put Chinese characters
ahead of English characters after copy&paste even the original
string has the opposite sequence?Does AW like Chinese characters
much more than English characters? :-) Anyway,this is a bad habit.
I am still working on this.

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > hashao mailto:hashao@china.com.n.s.pam