Re: request for help from CJK hackers

Subject: Re: request for help from CJK hackers
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 05:18:23 CST

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:

> Belcon Zhao ¼g¹D¡G
> > >automatically?Just
> > >
> > > Hmm, I don't understand you - what do you mean by "install
> > >automatically"?
>
> Hello, Belcon,
> I don't think it's a good idea to add that functionality to AW,
> since AW did NOT handle truetype font directly.
> It's the ability of X server or font server to handle truetype font.
> (In XFree86 3.x, there is no ttf support, thus we have to patch
> X server to support ttf, that's what CLE or other version of
> "Chinese Linux" have done. For XFree86 4.0, there are already
> two backends ttf support: xtt and freetype)
> I think we should just leave the responsibility of installation
> of ttf to X.
>
> Of course, It may be convenient for AW to automatilly generate
> hj format of fonts.dir from the currently installed ttf in X.
> However, since there is no direct connection between
> XLFD and PostScript font names, it may not feasible currently.
> (In fact, if we can generate hj fonts.dir on fly,
> we don't need that file again! Did you agree?)

 So, let's leave all this to distribution's author - they have to ship
packages that are supposed to work with their distro - so let they compose
fonts.dir etc.

> > > I assume you propose to ship subdirectories with CJK fonts.dir with AW -
> > >right? If everything that is required for Chinese (and probably
> > >all CJK fonts) is subdirectory with fonts.dir in it, these directories
> > >could
> > >be added to AW distribution. So I agree with this.
>
> I think it's an appropriate way.
> I attach the fonts.dir I used now,
> for both zh_TW.Big5 & zh_CN.GB2312.
> Of course, it should works only in CLE.
> Other "Chinese Linux" use different XLFD font names.

 Thank you for them.
 I'm begining to think that since content of fonts.dir is distribution-specific,
we shouldn't include fonts.dir for only distribution as a canonical fonts.dir
for Big5 etc. So it would be better to say that "there are CLE-specific CJK
packages of AW available here" somewhere IMO and not include any fonts.dir
for CJK languages.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad