Re: MSWord import

Subject: Re: MSWord import
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 02:00:37 CST

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

 Just thought some more - and I think that wvHandleCodePage() is guilty.
 It's used by
        int CharProc(wvParseStruct *ps,U16 eachchar,U8 chartype,U16 lid)
 in ie_imp_MsWord_97.cpp

  wvHandleCodePage() doesn't try to swap bytes in the order iconv expects
them (i.e. it will work on glibcs older than the one in RH7).
  I think iconv order autodetection should be added to wv.
  Sorry I don't have time for this.

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I should say I import english and russian docs without any trouble on RH6.0
> with yesterday's AW.
> But last time I saw text.c from wv I had impression that it wouldn't work on
> RH7 correctly (leading to results you described).
> Are you both using RH7 now?
>
> If yes, all invocations of iconv() in text.c should be hacked to swap bytes
> properly (if they are not already).
>

> > On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I've encountered a show-stopper: MSWord docs no longer import for me. This
> > > is *not* a bug in wv. I would know... wv still works fine, I've tested it
> > > extensively tonight. All of the characters get re-mapped to question marks,
> > > which happens to be the fallback char in XAP_EncodingManager.cpp. Will
> > > someone please fix this?
> > >

> > Wow. I was just using Abi to read word documents on RedHat 6.2. It was
> > great.
> >

> > This must be a iconv problem again :-(
> >
> > Martin
> >

> Best regards,