Re: 0.7.12 Questions

Subject: Re: 0.7.12 Questions
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 02:44:15 CST

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:
>
> > I would like to determine what remains to be done before we declare
> > 0.7.12 ready. Outstanding issues I know of:
> >
> > Win32 spell check - how is this currently?
> > Word import - dom, what's the status here?
> > smart quotes - Vlad, can you get this fixed so we stop seeing ?s
> >
> > Are there other showstopper issues?
> > How is the build looking on BeOS and QNX?
>

> Something else I'd like to address is the issue of customized builds.
>

> I suggest the following customized builds to match people's distros.
>
> 1. Gnome build requiring Redhat 7.0 plus gnome-print plus pspell.
> 2. RedHat 7.0 gtk with Pspell.
> 3. stock RedHat 6.2 with ispell and gtk.
> 4. RedHat 7.0 with cjk fonts included in the right locations => 12
> megabytes! This will provide a good template for other distros
>
> Are we going to include cryllic another other Eastern European fonts in
> the rpms?
>
> If not I suggest customized build with these too.

 Hi,

 My thoughts:
1) It's bad idea to ship fonts and AW in one rpm anyway
2) It's a bad idea to ship CJK fonts since they are huge and any CJK-oriented
   distro already includes required fonts. Nobody will bother downloading 10Mb
   of extra stuff that is already in the distro.
3) As for cyrillic fonts - I also propose not to ship them (at least in the
   same rpm as AW itself) since there are 3 encodings used for cyrillic
   languages and we, if going to do it properly, should also ship 3 packs of
   fonts that will take 6 mb in total.
     I've also advertised AW with cyrillic support in exUSSR 2 month ago, so
   anybody who wished to use AW already has it installed, so upgrade to 0.7.12
   won't require those users to download font packs again.

 All we need is to put a web page "additional font packs" or something like
that and put links to various archives with fonts on it.
 Let the distribution's authors bother about their users IMO. Anyway the
result will be more optimal with this approach.

> Cheers
>
> Martin

 Best regards,
  -Vlad