Re: I can't enable smartquotes in my AW for some reason

Subject: Re: I can't enable smartquotes in my AW for some reason
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 03:16:34 CST

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

 Hi,

> vlad> Of course I fighted with AbiWord.profile a lot. It also itself
> vlad> behaves very strange: I put in it <Scheme name="_custom_"
> vlad> SmartQuotesEnable="1" /> run AW (smartquotes are not activated,
> vlad> though the check in preferences dialog is there), close it, look
> vlad> at AbiWord.profile and see that this section is gone, and
> vlad> SmartQuotesEnable="1" is moved to _builtin_ scheme. I run AW
> vlad> without modifying AbiWord.profile - again - no smartquotes
> vlad> (though the check in dialog is still checked. Of course I keep
> vlad> $LANG=en. And I didn't modify remap glyph table.
>
> I think you are seeing a combination of things that end up loking
> confusing.
>
> 1. I recollect that the default for SmartQuotesEnable is to be "on"
> (ie, "1"). AbiWord preferences routines have the feature that if a
> custom value is the same as a built-in value, the custom value is not
> written back out to the preferences file. So, you probably are
> getting the right value.

 I hope I do.

> 2. SmartQuotes often looks like it is not doing anything, especially
> on Unix. The reason is that the SmartQuotes algorithm can map the
> "plain quotes" character to a character that doesn't exist in the font
> you're using. Then, RemapGlyphs (a completely separate feature) maps
> the missing characters back according to RemapGlyphsTable and related
> preference variables. By default the table maps the missing smart
> quotes back to the plain quotes versions (not a coincidence).
>
> For debugging SmartQuotes stuff, I recommend changing the
> RemapGlyphsTable to characters you know you have. For example, this
> setting uses single and double angle brackets:
>
> RemapGlyphsTable="&#x2018;&lt;&#x2019;&gt;&#x201c;&#xab;&#x201d;&#xbb;"
>
> (The preference item value is just a list of character pairs, but they
> often need encoding because of AbiWord's import/export of the
> preferences file.)

 Since I use LANG=en, no non-english fonts are loaded, so I should get the
same result as others get. But I don't see any substitution of plain quotes
with nice quotes at all.

 I've attached a trace log of session in which I typed "Abccd" <CR> and
smartquotes were not engaged (though they are enabled obviously). Could
anybody see and tell whether it's OK? Also, could anyone for whom
smartquotes work attach the log of the same session with their AW where
smartquotes really work?

 Thanks.

> --
> bill@carpenter.ORG (WJCarpenter) PGP 0x91865119
> 38 95 1B 69 C9 C6 3D 25 73 46 32 04 69 D6 ED F3

 Best regards,
  -Vlad