Re: Segfault: ?

Subject: Re: Segfault: ?
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 04:30:33 CST

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 01:48:06PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >

> > May be glibc is buggy in MDK as usual?
>
> I'm going to try to find the source package for this, and see what
> is causing that problem.

 I think that even finding out what's wrong and with what won't help us to
solve this problem (unless we require MDK users to upgrade their glibc, if
there are updates for it). This problem should be fixed internally to AW IMO.

> > I think we can use the following workaround for this problem:
> > instead of
> > iconv(handle,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL);
> > everywhere use
> > iconv_reset(handle)
> > where it's defined as follows:
> >
> > void iconv_reset(iconv_t cd)
> > {
> > if (XAP_EncodingManager::instance->cjk_locale())
> > iconv(cd,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL);
> > }
> >
> > since shift state (and its resetting) is meaningful only on multibyte locales
> > such as CJK ones.
> >
> > What do you guys think about this idea?
>
> Well, this sounds good, with two caveats.
>
> 1) don't call it iconv_reset, that makes it look like an iconv function.
> call it UT_iconv_reset or some such.

 Nice idea.

> 2) This doesn't actually fix the problem, it just limits the problem
> to people with buggy glibc's and CJK documents. Which is an improvement,
> but not a solution.

 As I understand, systems with such bugs in glibc are totally unusable for CJK
people. So the chance that CJK user will have such broken glibc installed is
infinitely small, so we shouldn't worry about CJK people.

> But I would still accept a patch for this.

 Anyways, I can start composing such patch only after you put nightly snapshot
(or I will make a patch against yesterday version).

 Could anybody please mail me trace log (that AW writes to stdout) of a
session with smartquotes enabled, in which "Abccd" <CR> (with quotes) is typed
- so I will be able to see what AW with working smartquotes should put in debug
log and how it behaves.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad