Re: Segfault in libpspell

Subject: Re: Segfault in libpspell
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 11:16:28 CST

Sam TH said:
>Well, as far as I can tell from Dom's code, pspell_manager_check() returns
>1 if found, 0 if not found, and -1 on error. Therefore, if it was passed
>a null pointer, it could return -1. The following patch does just that
>(actually it checks both arguments, which should be the right thing to do):
Just to clarify, I don't think that pspell_manager_check() returns -1 on
error. From what I gathered from our ispell code (newMain.c), SpellCheckXXX
should return >=1 if found, 0 if not found, -1 on error.
pspell_manager_check returns 0 if not found, >0 if found. So these fit in
well with our intended semantics. I added tests to return -1 from our end if
a big error occurrs (like a null spell_manager).

Unfortunately, Abi doesn't properly handle all of these return values. I'll
look into it (I think Matt B. might be too). Basically, we still try to
spellcheck a document even if SpellCheckInit() failed. This is *bad*.

Dom