Re: International Character Input

Subject: Re: International Character Input
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 04:08:27 CST

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Daniel Lenski wrote:

 Hi,

 I thought such things are already implemented in XFree or even X. Are you
sure they are not? May be there are special input methods for accented letters
that will work as you want for all for ANY X application (or special programs
that capture X events and form another X events)? Or there are hacks
(=modules) for gtk could be used for this? But of course these are X-specific
things, so general-purpose portable solution may be desireble.

> Hi,
>
> I'm a Linux developer and AbiWord user. I'm interested in adding one of
> my favorite Microsoft Word features to AbiWord: the ability to input
> accented and foreign characters with the keystrokes
> CTRL+punctuation,letter, as in CTRL+',e which produces an E with an acute
> accent mark.
>
> I have a few questions:
> (1) It looks like I need to delve in ap_EditMethods.cpp ... am I right?

 I have an impression that you can limit yourself to /src/af/ev/xp/ - this way
you won't need to add zillion of new editmethods corresponding to accented
letters to ap_EditMethods.cpp and the code will be much simpler.

> (2) Should I try to worry about character encodings or simply hardcode
> the ISO-8859-1 character codes (which is what Microsoft does)?

 I think that only latin-based scripts are using various accents very
intensively, so IMO it would be reasonable to code it for iso-8859-1 keeking
hooks in your code for adding other character sets (but very unlikely hooks
would ever be needed). But I recommend you to insure in this by asking other
mailing lists (XFree developers should know).

> (3) What development environments do people use for editing the AbiWord
> code? Although I love EMACS, it's not so great when you have to
> edit a ton of different files.
>
> Hopefully I'll get this feature added real soon now(TM) and I'll be a hero
> to everyone who has to type in French or Spanish or German, but hates
> changing their keyboard layout :-) Thanks in advance for your advice!
>
> --
> Daniel Lenski
> moxfyre@geocities.com
>
> "If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
> we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
> --Calvin and Hobbes

 Best regards,
  -Vlad