Re: SDI AbiWord, clipboards and overall design

Subject: Re: SDI AbiWord, clipboards and overall design
From: Pierre Abbat (phma@oltronics.net)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 18:48:55 CST

>As you note there is a real problem with using remote X screens. I don't
>know how X handles clipboard data in this situation. Does X send the client
>clipboard data to the server when the server requests to read the clipboard
>(or at any other point in time)?
>Unless this behaviour is already present in X the point is moot, but if it
>does indeed work this way I would (reluctantly) agree with your solution of
>letting the (possibly remote) AbiWord-private clipboard format replace the
>local clipboard.

I don't know the X internals of it, but if I run two kwrites on different
computers, but displaying on the same X server :0, I can copy from one to the
other. If I have two kwrites running on the same computer, but displaying on
different X servers, even if one is merely an Xnest in the other, I cannot copy
between them.

phma