List Dialog compromise

Subject: List Dialog compromise
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 07:00:25 CST

All,

  I've been thinking long and hard about this list dialog.
I think that there have been some very good points brought
up ... some definite usability issues concerning the non-modality
of the dialog that need to be addressed.

  However I think finally having list support is a big
thing for AbiWord, and should be previewed with the
0.7.12 release.

  What I would suggest is that we allow list creation, but
not customization. This means that we will be able to leave
the toolbar list buttons enabled, but disable the List
Dialog in the "Bullets and numbering" menu option. This
means people will be able to create simple numbered and
bulleted lists ... they just won't be able to customize
them yet. I think that is an acceptable compromise. It
is similar to the fact that you could create tab stops
but not have a dialog to customize the values.

  Other voices in the crowd ... what do you have to say
about this?

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf