Re: List Dialog compromise

Subject: Re: List Dialog compromise
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 07:34:35 CST

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> What I would suggest is that we allow list creation, but
> not customization. This means that we will be able to leave
> the toolbar list buttons enabled, but disable the List
> Dialog in the "Bullets and numbering" menu option. This
> means people will be able to create simple numbered and
> bulleted lists ... they just won't be able to customize
> them yet. I think that is an acceptable compromise. It
> is similar to the fact that you could create tab stops
> but not have a dialog to customize the values.
>
> Other voices in the crowd ... what do you have to say
> about this?

How about this? We implement a check box labelled

X Update dialog from Document.

The check box turns off as soon as you change something in the dialog.
This prevents changes to the dialog contents from the document. If
you allow "Update from the document" you immediately see the current list
in the type/position(s) in the preview.

I think the modeless dialog is really cool and I'd like to get feedback
from users on it. It really is a different way of doing things from MS
Word. If we design it right it might be substantially better.

On the other hand if the Windows dialog proves too hard maybe we should
look to disable it for windows for 0.7.12.

We've done this before.

Joaquin, can you fix the event blocking thing in ::typeChanged()? I ran
out of time today.

Martin