RE: lists stuff

Subject: RE: lists stuff
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 07:48:48 CST

Ok Joaquin,
           I stand corrected. Now the main thing our dialog has going for
it is that it is simpler, Modeless and will be able to gracefully handle
many open documents and views. I think we can learn from MS though. Our
label delimeter should have two text entries of either side of the current
List label.

ie.

xxxxxx <label here> xxxxxx

Cheers

Martin

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

> ? The word's dialog box shows all the time a preview of the current list

But you can't type while it's up.

> > 2. Change the starting value of the list to any value you like.
>
> ??? Format->Lists and bullets (sorry, I have here a french version and I
> don't know the english label of the items)

OK

> > 3. Change the text delimeters around each label to anything you like.
>
> again, say that we want a list like (1)
> select the preview with
> 1. ----
> 2. ----
> 3. ----
>
> click in "Customize", and the first top label in the left edge ("Numeration
> format", or something like that) shows
> +--------------+
> |1. |
> +--------------+
>
> (the 1 has a gray blackground, because you cann't change it in this label)
> now, just erase the dot, and add a couple of '()'
>
> +--------------+
> |(1) |
> +--------------+

We should do this.

> > 4. Change the text delimenters between levels of lists to anything you
> > like.
>
> choose a multilevel list in the lists dialog, click in "Customize", and
> change whatever you want (the customize dialog of a multilevel list has a
> lot of options)
>
> > 5. Do instant updates to preview to reflect the changes theusers makes to
> > their selection.
>
> ?? the preview of the dialog box that pops up when you select "Customize"
> shows exactly that

In our dialog as soon as change ANYTHING in any element of the dialog the
preview is immediately updated. Dont press OK or anything it just does it.

> MS can do it very very easily... when you click in customize, select the top
> left label (again), and change the contents from
>
> i.

> <<2>>--<3>.(i)

No that's not what I meant. The "--" and "." only appear between labels in
a multi-level list. We also gives users the option of displaying the list
label in a different font to the rest of the document. I don't know how
useful this is but we can do it so it is offered.

> > We can rather easily. How useful is this level of flexibility? I don't
> > know but Power Abi users can do it.
>
> So, again, what are the problems with the MS list's dialog box? it seems to
> me much more intuitive than our dialog. For instance, say that you want to
> create a bulleted list, with some fancy symbol (not a bullet), in the MS
> dialog box, you will see a serie of little previews with sexy symbols, just
> pick your favorite one and it's all (you can even use a custom image like
> symbol, and in abi you cann't (if I remember correctly))
>
> In Abi you have to select your symbol from a drop menu, and you don't see
> the symbol until you have selected it. You only can see the name of the
> symbol, but the name of the symbol gives FAR less information than a preview
> of the symbol, for instance, several days ago Mike sent an email just
> wondering about what symbols were associated with each name:
>
> <quote>
> TRIANGLE_LIST Don't know what this should look like.
> DIAMOND_LIST A8 ("Symbol" font)
> STAR_LIST Don't know which of the stars to use.
> IMPLIES_LIST Don't know what this should look like.
> TICK_LIST Don't know what this should look like.
> HAND_LIST If this is to be a hand with a finger pointing right, I've got
> it at 0x46 in Wingdings.
> HEART_LIST A9 ("Symbol" font)
> </quote>

Fair enough. Our approach makes a smaller dialog that is easier for power
users and maybe easier for simpler things too. A smaller dialog is more
appropriate for a Modeless dialog.

Martin